At Newquay Junior Academy we believe PE & Sport plays an important role in making our vision statement a reality for every pupil, with the potential to change young people’s lives for the better.
We have welcomed the Government’s announcement in June 2013 to provide additional funding for 2 years to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. We are committed to using this resource in developing high quality PE lessons, alongside greater opportunities for sporting competitions and clubs for all our young people.
What does the Sport Premium mean for my School?
‘Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this’ (DfE June 2013).
At Newquay Junior Academy School we have split up the funding by the three key areas for consideration; Physical Education, Healthy Active Lifestyles and Competitive Sport. We have decided to spend the Sport Premium Grant on the following:
- Membership of Newquay Sports Partnership includes non-competitive PE opportunities for pupils e.g. dance events, as well as access to more traditional team competitions.
- Membership of Newquay Sports Partnership includes, training opportunities for staff to improve their teaching of PE.
- Funds allow staff to be covered when attending CPD training, or taking children to PE events. E.g. MABLE days, Sportmobility day.
- Hire of Heron tennis centre and specialist coaches for Academy afternoon.
- Hire of Waterworld, lifeguards and specialist coaches for year 3 swimming.
- Hire of extra staff to transport year 3 children to swimming,
- Constant updating of sports equipment in the Academy.
- Inspection and maintenance of hall equipment, trim trail and school field.
- Extra staffing to facilitate PE in Academy afternoons.
- Membership of Newquay Sports Partnership includes competition entries for local area competitions.
- This funding also allows the Academy to access the Cornwall School Games competitions and also National competitions e.g. Tag to Twickenham, National Relay competition in swimming.
- Money is used to provide staff cover so pupils can be taken to a number of sports competitions.
- Transport for pupils to attend sports competitions, including out of county events and Sportmobility day.
Healthy Active Lifestyles
- Membership of Newquay Sports Partnership includes, training opportunities for staff improve their PE teaching.
- Funds playground equipment to encourage pupils to be active in lunchtimes and playtimes.
- Funds staff to run a Funfit club to improve pupil’s motor skills.
- The Academy uses the funding to pay staff to run cycle training sessions, encouraging healthy lifestyles.
- Funding meditation sessions to promote general wellbeing.
- Providing time for PE co-ordinator to communicate with local clubs to broaden PE experiences for NJA pupils.